When deciding what to pack for the Big Island in November, it’s crucial that you have your itinerary set first. Although most activities will only require light and casual beachwear, you may find yourself scaling volcanoes or diving at night, in which case you should bring some heavier layers. The best part about deciding what to pack for Hawaii is that no matter what time of year or which island you are visiting, you can most likely fit everything into one carry-on! I have been to Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island, and this Hawaii packing list has worked well for each trip.
What to Pack for the Big Island in November
- ALOHA Collection Dry Tote– This is my Number 1 recommendation for packing for Hawaii! I used it daily for bringing my electronics to the beach or for keeping my wet clothes separate from everything else. So so useful.
- Away Suitcase– I love Away because of the portable charger, and easy lock system. Plus I know it will fit in any overhead bin.
- Packing Cubes– A must for staying organized while living out of a suitcase.
- Peak Everyday Camera Backpack– I don’t usually carry this, my “Instagram husband” does and he loves it.
- Face Wipes– For plane rides and beach trips!
- Sun Bum Reef Safe Travel Pack– Includes reef-friendly sunscreen, lotion, and lip balm in travel sizes.
- Sunglasses– I go for cheap and cute ones as I’m always losing them.
- Mini Hair Brush– It seems silly to list, but I always bring this if I know I will be in the ocean as my hair gets so tangly. Even in November, the water is warm enough that you will definitely be swimming!
What to Wear in Hawaii in November
Even in November, I still packed for what I would consider an “American summer.” Shorts, dresses, and swimsuits were all necessities!
- High Waisted Denim Shorts– Bring multiple pairs if you can! I lived in these paired with a bikini top. (Linked my favorites from Hollister!)
- Tanks– Mix and match for any activity.
- Long Sleeve- In case of sunburn or windy boat rides.
- Maxi Skirt- Lulu’s is great for dressing up or down.
- Sundress- Another Lulu’s fav!
- Leggings- I can’t wear anything else on a plane. Plus, these are nice in case you get a little chilly when the sun goes down or if you are staying in a higher altitude.
- One Piece- Double it as a top with shorts or a skirt. (Don’t have this one but I love it!)
- High Waisted Bikini- Similar fit to my favorite!
- Colorful Bikini– I found that 3 suits were more than enough for a week-long stay by washing in the sink and drying.
- Rollable Sun Hat– Crushable so it is easy to pack.
- Bandana- I kept one wrapped around my wrist and used it to tame my hair when we rode with the top down in the Jeep.
- Lightweight Scarf– The easiest beach cover-up and airplane accessory.
- Round Woven Purse– A cute accessory for pictures and convenient if you don’t want to lug all your gear around.
I prefer to keep my shoes super simple! One pair for wearing out and the other for getting wet and sandy.
Packing for Hawaiian Excursions
- Hiking Boots- I went for style and warmth with this pair from Target. (pictured below)
- Tennis Shoes- Depending on the intensity of the hike and weather, I sometimes opt for tennis instead of bulky boots.
- Jeans– I normally wouldn’t pack these for Hawaii unless I knew it would be cold.
- Puffer Jacket- Wear it on the plane to save space in your carry-on.
- Pro Tip: If you are only spending a short amount of time in altitude, opt for a light jacket and bring a blanket from the hotel instead to save room in your suitcase.
- Rain Jacket- When I am at the beach I don’t find that I need a rain jacket since the rain is warm and only comes in quick bursts. But if you are staying in an area that gets lots of rain, you will need a light but protective jacket.
For this Hawaii packing list, I earn a small commission if you decide to purchase, at no additional cost to you. I hope these products bless you as your support blesses me!